Friday, June 25, 2010

Cross Country Camp

Austin and Karsen were busy this week during the mornings with Running Camp sponsored by the high school cross country team. They learned stretches, starts, and worked on building endurance and played running games. Both kids enjoyed themselves a lot! Today they ended camp with a camp-wide race in which they ran a timed mile on a cross country course.


The campers.


Right before the start of the race.


Out of the 50+ campers, ranging in ages from going into 1st grade to going into 9th grade, Austin finished 8th!! He had a great time for his mile, 8:11, especially for his first actual competitive race.

Karsen did great as well, one of the first of the "little ones" to finish. She had a time of 9:55.

They all enjoyed rice krispy treats, popsicles, fruit, water, and juice at the end of their race and received their awards and certificates.

Another big happening this week was that Austin's new glasses came in. He was very disappointed that he will have to have them, and tried to talk us out of them in every possible way. He thought of contacts (which his eye doctor discourages until age 12), laser surgery (we told him when he is MUCH, MUCH older), and his friend Cooper and he devised their own eye test to prove that Austin can see Cooper just wonderfully when he holds his fingers up. When all of that failed, Austin reluctantly went to his fitting appointment this morning and emerged with his new handsome everyday glasses and his cool sporty glasses for baseball and soccer.

The sports goggles. Austin really likes these.

Both of our beautiful children:

We also enjoyed a couple of days of babysitting our cousin Ross and his wife Krissy's sweet little 3 month old, Emily. The kids did pretty well, and yes, my memory of small babies came back rather quickly. She is really an excellent baby and not much trouble at all, so we are hoping that our Brycen has some of those same easy-baby genes.

Please ignore the look of terror on Emily's face. I promise I wouldn't let Austin and Karsen hurt her :)

OH I could eat her up--she is so sweet!!! Next time I post a picture of one this small, it will probably be Bryce! So hard to believe his arrival is less than six weeks away!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! That is so impressive that Austin placed so well. And Karsen too! Did they seem to enjoy it? Do you think they will be future cross country team members?

    I love Austin's glasses and goggles, but I particularly loved hearing all of his alternative ideas. :) At first when you wrote of his friend Cooper I thought you meant Cooper the dog and was a bit worried that their solution would end up with the destruction of Austin's glasses, but I quickly caught on. :)

    Did Austin and Karsen enjoy having baby Emily?

    I CAN'T BELIEVE BRYCE WILL BE ARRIVING SO SOON!!!! YAY!!!! I want lots pictures posted until I get to come home and meet him.

    By the way, thank you for the amazing package. My parents delivered it a bit out of sorts, but I believe it was all there. I have now consumed nearly all the sweets. I will be sending one your way as soon as I get it organised (probably the end of the week or early next). I MISS YOU ALL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you liked the package Katie! Karsen picked most of it out if you are wondering still. I will definitely post a lot of pictures of Bryce and send some your way. It does get very confusing when friend Cooper is around, because dog Cooper never knows who is being referred to. I might say, Austin, Cooper, your snack is on the table, and the dog looks very eager to join us until he sees the human Cooper and realizes he just lost his snack.
    Austin is getting used to the glasses and goggles. Sometimes he "forgets" to wear them but he is adjusting. And Austin really did love running camp, and surprised us because it's not something he's ever wanted to try before but seems quite good at it. He was super focused and kept track in his head of all the people he was passing so that they wouldn't pass him later on in the race. Always thinking, that kid. Miss you too, talk to you soon :)

    ReplyDelete